March 19, 2018

David Carr Pulling Off the Mittens on the Texans

Houston Texans first pick in franchise history David Carr had some interesting things to say to the Houston Chronicle’s Brian T. Smith.

Carr who was taken with the 1st overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft out of Fresno State was sacked 249 times in 76 games for the Texans. Add in his record of 22 and 53 as a starter for the Texans he threw for 13,3391 yards with 59 touchdowns and 65 interceptions and was considered a bust in his 5 seasons in Houston.

There was more to blame than Carr and then General Manager Charlie Casserly did little to surround Carr with talent around him to succeed. This led to this exchange between Carr and the Houston Chronicle,

Carr has some solid points on the failures of the Texans with him as the quarterback, but there is little discussion on his own failures as a professional.

We talked to one of his former teammates that played with Carr in Houston and was a key piece of the those teams. He said that Carr was the “Last one in, first one out.” but did agree with Carr on the fact Casserly did little to help the quarterback on the offensive side of the ball.

No matter the reasons for the failure the then new look Texans, it was a recipe for disaster. It was rookie quarterback who didn’t understand how to be a professional and handle expectations and a General Manager who did little to give the foundation for the rookie to succeed.

Who is to blame?

10 Responses to “David Carr Pulling Off the Mittens on the Texans”
  1. Jay Dale says:

It didn’t help matters that their left tackle who was supposed to anchor the o-line never played a down due to injury. The first few years were definitely the o-line’s fault, the last couple were all Carr who made no real improvements in his game and actually went backward, especially the last year and Kubiak’s first year when the line was improved and he had the chance to step up and show he could be a franchise guy. That’s why he’s been a backup ever since.

2. Me says:

Everything is not on the oline to get the job done. David Carr started 16 games in 06 (his last season with the Texans) and was sacked 41 times Matt Schaub started 11 games the next season and was sacked 16 times or approx 1.5 a game. When project that out to 16 games thats 24 for the year. Sometimes the Qb needs to get rid of the ball. Now im not saying we had all stars at these positions and Ron Dayne did help kill a promising lt career (spencer i think) but Carr needs to look within first before laying blame. Just look at a guy like Payton Manning, he get rig of the ball so fast it helps the lineman wo dont have to hold blocks as long.

3. Joe Blanco says:

Those really aren’t horrible stats given the horrible supporting cast around him. If Carr had the team Schaub had around him, well I think we would have been a playoff team year in and year out.

4. Joe Blanco says:

This all lies on Casserly’s inability to bring in superior talent high in the draft. We really put ourselves behind the 8 ball with misses in the draft.

5. John Andrews says:

Actually I have moved on…. more concerned about this years draft!

6. Charlie Paulson says:

I went to every one of those home games and it was just brutal. The O line leaked like a sieve and David either had to run for his life or got hammered. I don’t know how any QB, good bad or otherwise would have survived those conditions, and I do think it played a huge role in diminishing any hope of David ever becoming a great QB.

7. CokedIP says:

The Texans were horrible in those early years. It wasn’t until the Kubiak era that we started bringing in respectable talent. I don’t know what Casserly was doing. Makes me question his role in Washington. I believe Carr could have been a better player if surrounded with the proper talent but he would never had been an elite quarterback. Certainly not worth the #1 pick. But if we all had a crystal ball then we’d all be billionaires and this game wouldn’t be near as fun.

8. Rick says:

I remember when I heard Charlie Casserly was to be our GM I was ecstatic. For years I had heard nothing but praises about him, about the miracles he pulled off in Washington, about how he has such a marvelous head on his shoulders, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum. Then his first year with the Texans and: OK so where are the miracles(thought to myself, well to be fair they are an expansion team so give it a year or 2 for him to actually build something and succeed). Then year 2 and then year 3, etc. and nothing, no miracles, not even any real improvement unless you call winning 1 or 2 more game this year than last real improvement, well OK I’ll give it that, 1 or 2 games is improvement but still, I think people get my point. Then he got fired and did what, got a job as an analyst for the media and listening to him at that point told me everything I needed to know. He’s no better than anyone else, he’s just a guy and got lucky, the stars aligned for him or something at other stops before the Texans and now I wouldn’t even place him in the top half of GMs.

%d bloggers like this: