Coach Speak: Texans OTAs
Here are some notes from Texans OTAs on Wednesday.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak talked about standouts from today’s workouts and mentioned tight end Garrett Graham, wide receiver Trindon Holliday, safety Torri Williams, and outside linebacker Bryan Braman.
- Rookie wide receiver Keshawn Martin was called automatic by Kubiak when talking about his punt return abilities, but still feels he is over thinking his job on the field.
- The race for the quarterback position is for T.J. Yates backup position, not starter Matt Schaub’s job. Kubiak is talking well of John Beck’s mental capacity of the Texans offense, and wants to work with some of his decision-making.
- Rookie defensive tackle, Hebron Fangupo is expected back next Monday from his sprained MCL injury. Shaun Cody is alternating his OTA practice schedule to every other day, where he will have a day of rest between practices. The reason is unknown, but could be more of a precautionary move.
- The wide receiver position seems to be a concern for Kubiak, but he is intrigued with the growth the group has shown in the past five days. He says the first of June they will look to see if there is any talent out there available.
- Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips sees little difference in the Bradie James he saw today compared to the one he coached in Dallas a year and half ago.
- Seems like inside linebacker Brian Cushing is taking more a leadership role this season, and is fine with that responsibility. He feels he was in the leadership role even when DeMeco Ryans was here in Houston.