Competition Edition: Texans OTAs
Some Tuesday Notes from OTAs.
- Seems like backup quarterback John Beck could possibly be putting himself in position to make the team. Beck has made it clear he is all ears with head coach Gary Kubiak and what he has to say to him about playing quarterback. Beck being familiar with the Texans’ offense, is helping the younger players on the field with the offense. His role is yet undetermined by the team, and looks to be in a battle with rookie quarterback Case Keenum for the teams 3rd quarterback spot.
- Kevin Walter did not practice today he was sick and Johnathan Joseph left practice early to be with his wife.
- DeVier Posey is being moved around in the Texans offense to see how much he can absorb before OTAs is out. Kubiak is determining reps for the rookies depending on how they perform during OTAs.
- Kubiak continued his praise of second year wide receiver Lestar Jean stating he likes the way Jean is working and thinks he has a good chance to be a good football player for the Texans.
- Inside linebacker, Brian Cushing will be shutdown for the remainder of OTAs after his keen became sore. A MRI revealed no damage, so the team is using this time to get other players some reps.
- Today on Houston Sports 790, it was said that Brian Cushing will be switching to former starter DeMeco Ryans inside linebacker position while Bradie James will be taking over in Cushing’s linebacker position in 2012.
- Arian Foster and Ben Tate seem to have a competitive relationship, and are pushing each other on the field to make each other better. Tate says he likes the way Foster is patient when he runs the football, and wants to bring that to his game this season.
- Brandon Brooks and Derek Newton continue to impress and appear to be putting themselves into position to push for a starting role entering training camp. Antoine Caldwell and Rashad Butler are penciled in as the current starters.