Got That Fire: Texans OTAs
Here are a few notes from Wednesday’s OTAs.
- Brian Cushing and Hebron Fangupo did not practice. The team is hoping Fangupo can return to practice next Monday.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak expects right tackle Rashad Butler to take a hold of the right tackle position despite competition from Derek Newton. Kubiak likes the fact that Butler has starter experience filling in at left tackle during the 2010 season.
- Rookie guard Brandon Brooks has been working with the first team offense with Antoine Caldwell being sick the past few days.
- Gary Kubiak told the media that Matt Schaub is the starter for the Texans going into the 2012 season. Questions have come up if Schaub is the starter for the 2012 Texans, with the emergence of T.J. Yates last season. This has brought up a “Media” hyped quarterback controversy, but that is not the case according to Kubiak.
- Yates has received the opportunity to earn much-needed reps he did not get last off-season prior to the regular season. It seems to be helping Yates get even more comfortable with the offense.
- James Casey is expected to play the same role as he did at the beginning of last season, where he was moved around the offensive formation. Kubiak knows he can create mismatches with Casey’s skill set, so this season should be more of the same.
- Antonio Smith is impressed with the entire rookie class and called them fiery. He said this is the first time he has seen a group of rookies like this since he has been in the NFL, and this could be fun to be a part of too.
- Whitney Mercilus talked about the speed of the game being the biggest difference from the college to the NFL game. He also says the Texas heat is something he has to get used to and is hearing the August heat is serious business.