No Puppies: Texans OTAs
Some more notes from the first week of Texans 2012 OTAs.
- Second year cornerback Roc Carmichael feels fortunate to have sat out his first season and learn the defensive scheme, and he felt that his playing time would have been little with him behind in the learning process with the lockout last season. He also felt fortunate to use the 2011 season as a “redshirt” season to learn from Danieal Manning and Johnathan Joseph, and he feels that Dwight Jones could make the team. Jones played at North Carolina while Carmichael was at Virginia Tech and Roc called him a special wide receiver. He also feels like he needs to get back to the fundamentals of playing cornerback and get back to being on the field and prove he belongs with the Texans.
- Former Houston Texan, Seth Payne, was speaking highly of rookie Jared Crick and said that he had some explosion and strength that are impressive for a rookie as a defensive lineman. Also, he said Case Keenum looks comfortable taking snaps from under the center and looks like he has been studying up the playbook. Also, Payne said when training camp comes and the pads get on is when the real assessment can happen.
- Owner Bob McNair called his Texans a “contender” for the 2012 season but said there are so many factors involved with a season. He also said that he likes the new injured reserve rule and it would have helped last season because former Texan Mario Williams was cleared to play for the playoffs.
- According to Steph Stadley, the wide receivers group looked fast and had some nice catches from Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey and Trindon Holliday.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak was concerned with some of the conditioning levels of his rookie wide receivers and pointed out his disappointment in that they need to get better. Kubiak also talked about the improvement of the team coming out of the third day of OTAs saying each day was better than the previous.
- Kubiak also talked about 1st round pick Whitney Mercilus and the job linebackers coach Reggie Herring has done with him in OTAs. He looks fast and is catching up with the defense well. Also, Mericlus is working with the special teams unit so that is something to watch coming into camp.
- New inside linebacker Bradie James said he just wants to fit in with this group and he likes the way the group works.
- Wide receiver Kevin Walter is not worried about all the talk of the other wide receivers. He knows what he needs to do and only needs to prove to his coaches and teammates he belongs with the team.
- Inside linebacker Darryl Sharpton will be held out until the start of training camp. Sharpton was put on the injured reserve last season after he tore his quadricep.
You can follow Patrick on Twitter. He is the Editor of State of the Texans and is a draft analyst on Sideline Scouting.