Texans Training Camp: Day Twelve
The Houston Texans wrapped up their work week and used today’s practice to prepare for their upcoming preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. The practice consisted of fine tuning the offense and defense against what the Vikings could do on Friday. The breeze was nice and made for a quick day for the Texans.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak said they would probably be without 19-20 players against the Vikings on Friday with Wade Smith and Sam Montgomery already ruled out for that game. There will be plenty of young guys getting the bulk of the work on Friday and it should be a good look at what the young players look like.
- With Brian Cushing and Tim Dobbins looking like they will not play on Friday, look for Joe Mays and Darryl Sharpton to start at the inside linebacker position. It will be an interesting combination for the game and both need to know both positions.
- Rookie outside linebacker Justin Tuggle keeps making progress with Whitney Mercilus and Sam Montgomery out with injuries. Tuggle has gotten better at the position and, despite only playing 1 1/2 years in college, he has been putting on some weight since his arrival in May. He holds up against the run well and this will be a good time to see what else he has to make a positive impression for the Texans.
- Ben Tate looked today like he had no issues with a groin injury that made him miss some practices. There is hope that Tate will get the start for Minnesota and there will be plenty of Dennis Johnson and Cierre Wood to be displayed. All three running backs have had solid camps but the rookies will be the main attraction come Friday. Johnson has been the runner with that extra excitement you want in a runner, where Wood fits exactly what the Texans want in a one cut runner that can get into the hole.
- Wide receiver Ez Nwachukwu showed his inconsistency again today. He dropped a wide open post route after he beat the defender with a nice move, plus T.J. Yates put the ball to him in stride. Nwachukwu’s issues do not lie in speed or running routes but making those catches that should be made.
- Fullback Zach Boren showed some skills today with two one-handed catches out of the backfield against good coverage. Boren shows he will be a willing blocker but today was the first time he displayed this type of ability.
- Sam Montgomery got some much needed work on the field today and moved around with no noticeable issues. He rushed the passer from a three and two point stance and was able to turn the corner with ease. He is going to sit out the game against the Vikings and focus on getting ready for the game against the Miami Dolphins on August 17th.
- Defensive end Jared Crick has gotten a matching elbow brace like J.J. Watt to protect his right elbow. Crick hurt his elbow at the beginning of the week in team drills but he has not missed a snap because of it. Crick has been having a solid camp and should be one to watch against the Vikings.
- Quarterback Case Keenum and Stephen McGee struggled in the passing game today and left much to be desired. Passes were batted around and they just looked out of sync with the wide receivers in general. Keenum is the one quarterback that will have to put together a solid preseason to make the Texans think about what they are going to do with him in the future.
- Brian Cushing says he feels 100% from his torn ACL but there is a good chance he too will sit on Friday. This was the first week where Cushing says he went full tilt with no issues and he even had some contact practice in there too. Seeing Cushing on the field has added some extra boost in the moral of the defense as everyone knows how important he is to the success of the defense.
- Pic of the Day
You can follow Patrick on Twitter. He is the Editor of State of the Texans.