The Opening of OTAs
Here are notes about the Houston Texans first day of the 2012 OTAs.
- Texans will have 10 OTAs over a 3-week period: May 21-22 & May 24, May 29-31, June 4-7.
- Starting quarterback Matt Schaub did light running on the side today according to Steph Stradley. There was a sense of little worry with Schaub sitting out of OTAs, T.J. Yates took majority of the snaps today and looked good according to Stradley. It sounds like he could be a part of OTAs but the Texans are on the preventative side with Schaub heading into training camp.
- Wide receiver Andre Johnson revealed he had his knee scoped during the off-season and would be out 3-4 weeks with the surgery. Johnson also said that it is “no reason to panic” and wants to get all of his injury concerns behind him. His past two seasons have been a disappointment in his eyes and he wants to get back to the 1,500 yard receiving mark. He injured his knee in Jacksonville in week 12.
- 1st round pick Whitney Mercilus said he had to get used to practicing without pads and playing in the 3-4 scheme. Also, said the heat will take some time to adjust to and he is loving the city of Houston.
- Undrafted free agent, Hebron Fangupo was rolled up on during practice, injuring a leg. He was carted off the field and there are little details of the exact place of the injury and timetable for his return.
- Lestar Jean worked in Andre Johnson’s spot with the 1st offensive group at wide receiver. He is the elder statesman of the offense and has the most experience in the Texans offensive scheme. This could be a good spot for Jean, the more snaps he gets in Johnson’s absence the more comfortable he can become with the offense.